This article explains settings that enable transport claiming on an NDIS service agreement.
Travel vs transport
Transport involves a worker accompanying a participant on a community outing and/or transporting a participant from their home to the community. This is different from travel, which involves the worker travelling to or from client appointments unaccompanied.
NDIA funding for transport can be claimed from three types of support items:
General and specialised transport
To include general or specialised transport when creating a participant's NDIS service agreement, you'll need to add the Transport category.
To set up a service agreement so that you can claim and manage general or specialised transport:
- Create or edit an NDIS service agreement.
- In the Service Agreement Items section, add the Transport support category.
- If you'd like to restrict transport funding to the specific line item, put a tick in the Restrict delivery to Service Line Item checkbox. If you want to simply assign funding to the transport category to be used freely between the general and specialised line items, leave this checkbox unticked.
- If the Restrict delivery to Service Line Item checkbox has been ticked, add a new Service Agreement Item with the appropriate service.
- Specialised transport allows for negotiated rates, as per the NDIS pricing arrangements. Negotiated rates can be added while creating the line item, or when delivering the service. Put a tick in the Use Negotiated Rate checkbox to reveal negotiated rate fields.
Once your client approves the agreement, you can start claiming general or specialised transport.
Activity based transport
To include activity based transport when creating a participant's NDIS service agreement, you'll need to allow these services to be claimed if not already allowed by default.
To set up a service agreement so that you can claim and manage activity based transport:
- Begin by creating a new NDIS service agreement or editing an existing one.
- Scroll down to the Activity based transport - consent and charges section.
- Select Allow from the Transport Non-Labour Cost Claims drop-down menu.
- If specific rates have been negotiated for non modified or modified vehicles, enter these into the appropriate rate field. If these fields are left blank, the default rate for your environment will be used.
- Make sure your agreement includes a support category and/or services that allow for activity based transport claiming.
- Fill out the rest of the service agreement in the usual way.
Once your client approves the agreement, you can start claiming activity based transport.