This article explains the criteria Lumary uses to determine whether a cancellation meets the NDIA's short notice cancellation requirements.
If a client cancels an NDIS funded service at short notice, the provider may still be able to claim fees for the service. Under the NDIA's rules, short notice cancellation is when "the participant:
- does not show up for a scheduled support within a reasonable time, or is not present at the agreed place and within a reasonable time when the provider is travelling to deliver the support, or
- has given less than seven (7) clear days’ notice for a support."
For a cancellation to be claimable through the NDIS using Lumary:
- the cancellation must occur within the NDIA's short notice cancellation timeframe requirements
- the service must be eligible for cancellation claiming as indicated in the NDIS Support Catalogue, and
- the reason must be one of the four eligible reasons under the NDIS.
|Cancellation reason||NDIS code|
|No show due to health reasons||NSDH|
|No show due to family issues||NSDF|
|No show due to the unavailability of transport||NSDT|
|No show due to other reason||NSDO|
The NDIA describes several other requirements for claiming short notice cancellations. We recommend you review the NDIS Pricing Arrangements and Support Catalogue to make sure your cancellations meet all of the relevant criteria.
Seven (7) clear days
The NDIA's definition of 7 clear days starts from the time of the scheduled appointment and includes:
- any calendar day, regardless of whether it is a weekend or public holiday
- the day the provider was notified of the cancellation, and
- the scheduled day up until the time of the appointment.
For example, a participant has an appointment booked for 10 am on a Tuesday. If they cancel:
- before 10 am on the Tuesday before the appointment, the service would not be eligible for claiming as a short notice cancellation, or
- after 10 am on the Tuesday before and the circumstances meet the other requirements, the provider may be able to claim the service as a short notice cancellation.